Blue-Violet Iris Interior

Friday, July 8, 2011

DBT

I'll definitely discuss DBT in detail on other occasions, but have to make sure this link makes it into my blog even though I'm not well enough to write at any length today.  (Migraines, migraines, migraines.  Blah.)  At any rate, I credit DBT with saving my life and it is the main reasons I am able to remain positive and functional despite the new challenges represented by the migraines.  Its positive effect has spread beyond me and through my family, making all of us better at coping and communicating.  I can't say enough good things about dialectical behavior therapy and so owe an incredible amount to the woman who developed it.  In this article, Dr. Marsha Linehan reveals her own very serious mental health struggles.  It turns out her approach to therapy is so effective because she created the one that she needed herself.  It also goes to show (and this is one of my hot buttons, more later, I'm sure) that even those with severe mental illnesses are not lost causes and can, in fact, make tremendous positive contributions to the world when given the tools to cope successfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment